
I was ecstatically happy after the democrats won the presidency in America, but the next day all over CNN the headlines were "Republicans blame Sarah Palin for loss". I tuned in, and rather than critiquing the way she campaigned and her views, they spent 10 minutes criticizing how much money she spent on her wardrobe. Apparently Sarah Palin hasn't been photographed twice in the same outfit the whole campaign. I don't like Sarah Palin, but I do acknowledge the fact that she is a politician that could have had a hand in running America, surely her views on foreign policy should be more relevant than her taste for couture. A McCain spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt said: "With all of the important issues facing the country right now, it's remarkable that we're spending time talking about pantsuits and blouses. It was always the intent that the clothing go to a charitable purpose after the campaign."
If the clothing was to go to a charitable purpose after the campaign why was everyone making a big fuss that Palin spent $150,000 on clothes? That’s a small potatoes expense relative to the huge budgets elections run up.
On the other hand, (or is it the same misogynist hand?) Hillary Clinton has been criticized as dowdy for wearing pant suits. Hm, pant suits…suits with pants… aren’t those what male politicians wear without any criticism? It feels like for a woman in public life you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. America may have just elected their first black president, but we still have a long way go just to treat woman politicians equally.

6 comments:
I like this because I feel like you defend Sarah Palin well without actually.. well... defendign Sarah Palin. ICK.
If anything, her severe incompetency should have effected results, not her clothing.
This being said, should you ever wear a yellow pant suit with a nude top, Emlyn, I will give you HELL FOR IT!
Though I agree that far too much attention was paid to Sarah Palin's clothing, it was her total lack of preparedness for national office that by far ended up mattering the most per her role in the defeat of the Republican ticket.
I think the excessive focus on her clothing was there for a couple reasons. It's always easier for the media to focus on trivial rather then more serious issues. The media also always loves stories about actual or perceived hypocrisy. She portrayed herself as a "hockey mom" and a woman in touch with the typical American, and here she was wearing all those expensive clothes. Though I agree this is misogynist to some degree, and irrelevant criticism about the appearance of women is far more common then similar criticism of men, John Edwards was strongly criticized for portraying himself as a populist candidate and then spending $400 for a haircut. As we all know now. he had far greater moral flaws then getting expensive haircuts.
the thing is, why did she spend so much money on suits that were so boring and often ugly?
x x x x
@Mary: Don't worry... I'm never touching banana yellow and nude together.
As Bobb said it was her incompetency that cost Palin her votes, but after the election that wasn't discussed to the degree her clothing was... I don't think politicians should be criticized for what they wear if it's appropriate for the job.
@Bobb: Thanks for the John Edward's comment, I don't think I knew about that one, but if I had I would have included it in the article. I didn't think it was possible for a haircut to be $400, let alone a mans!
Media does know how to grab it's people's attention, Obama is becoming more of a celebrity everyday. I should know, I'm much more likely to be grabbed by the trivial issues then the serious ones, they make a connection with my brain faster then trying to work out the serious issues because I just don't know as much about them.
@Joezeh: I don't know. I would be wearing Chanel suits if I was Palin, but whatever. At least Michelle Obama has some lovely dresses!
well, anyone who says i look like fun to hang out with sounds like they'd be fun to hang out with too!
did you understand that last sentence? i don't think i even understood that last sentence.
anyways, bring on the lookbook invite, i barely use my account for anything else anymore, ha. it's an elitist minefield.
x x x x x x x
you write really well, strange how fashion gets involved in places where people think it wont!
Post a Comment