Monday, October 20, 2008

Art Never Sleeps

Saturday evening I went downtown to experience an "at night" arts event. It's similar to Nuit Blanche which happened in Toronto and Montreal, but ours didn't go all night unfortunately. It dropped down to 3 degrees! I am not joking, we are expected to get snow on wednesday, I think I will go into a temporary shock if that happens, it's far too early to be thinking of snow.


First there was a walk with the fall foliage in the Public Gardens


Then we watched some friends of ours do a dance.





Then we went to the Architect School where the public was invited to make a cardboard city, it included a King Kong, a Saron's eye (LLTR reference) and a sign saying "God Bless America" (we're Canadian).

Then it was time for the installations:

These eyes were projected out of what was once my favorite vintage store! I miss you Junk and Foibles.


This thing flashed, roared, and emitted smoke when you passed it. I couldn't get a decent picture, but we had fun with it!



I am in love with this artist's pottery animals. I'm a sucker for mice. Her name is Heather Keeling, I've looked for a website without luck.



This was a small exhibit about the use of light in textiles, specifically fibre optics. The idea is not new to me, but this is the first time I would see something like it in person. I was a bit disappointed that there were only two pieces, and the batteries had died in one, but I am still intrigued by the idea of using light in textiles and clothing.
There was a lot more, we went to a whole wack of galleries, I was impressed by many of the works, we also caught a little theatre mime thing, some music and ran around town trying to keep warm! though Unfortunately my camera died. All in all it was a very fun way to celebrate arts, especially so soon after the recent art cuts!

1 comment:

Mary said...

so so so cool! love the public garden pictures..... wowww. you carry yourself so awesomely and always look fantastic

i never hear about events like this. i really need to get more in the know!